Recently, I binge-read Haikyuu!! from where I left it. I wasn’t able to read it for months because of some things (I was only updated with Boku no Hero Academia and Daiya no A) in life. Anyway, I decided to re-post this here, though I edited it and added some reactions for the recent update this week.
The last chapter I read was just after the first set of Karasuno vs. Inarizaki’s game. (THAT WAS A GREAT SUPER INNER CROSS, TANAKA! WELL DONE!) It actually shifted to what happens with Nekoma. (After all, Furudate-sensei must be building up things for the Battle of the Garbage Dump.) Anyway, here are my random highlights and reactions after reading chapters 265-283.
NOTE: This is quite a long post because there are many images.
CH265 – Meanwhile, The Lethargic Cats…
- the “early riser” incident because of Kenma’s obsession with games HAHAHA
- Kenma’s cute instance of showing “human empathy” through offering him to do some levelling up
- THESE NERDS :))
In general, the whole time I was reading the Nekoma vs Sarukawa game, I was like, “GIVE POOR KENMA A BREAK” and “WHY ARE YOU SO ADORABLE, KENMA?” and “I LOVE NEKOMA SO MUCH”.
CH266 – Cats vs. Monkeys
- Kenma putting a wall between him and Tora :))
- Tora and Kenma’s clashes especially about willpower is amusing.
- ESPECIALLY THAT ONE FIGHT WHERE IT ENDED WITH FUKUNAGA SPLASHING WATER ON THEM
- AND THE NEXT FIGHT WHERE THEY’RE AT EACH OTHER’S THROATS, FUKUNAGA WAS READY WITH A BUCKET OF WATER HAHAHAHA
- Kenma’s tired feels and attempts to slack off :))
CH267 – Trap
- Don’t mess with Yaku-mama.
- Fukunaga is so cute~
- I love Kenma and Lev’s interactions so much!
- Well, of course, even if Sarukawa had a good strategy, Kenma is wiser and better.
CH268 – Kozume Kenma Believes There’s A Way
- See, the team knew about Sarukawa’s strategy and Kenma is already thinking of such thoughts. LOL
- Yaku-mama determined to protect baby Kenma *^*
- I LOVE NEKOMA SO MUCH!
- LEV IS SO ADORABLE!
- KENMA HATING GRAVITY IS HILARIOUS!
- Kenma believed that his teammates’ willpower/guts is enough for them to execute their countermeasure for Sarukawa’s strategy. Tora pointed out that Kenma may not think that he has that, but Tora acknowledged that he has. He said that, yes, Kenma always thinks of slacking off when there’s a chance, complains all the time, always the last one. He may not be persistent, but…
- AAAAHH I FELT SO PROUD OF HIM WHEN HE POSITIONED HIMSELF UNDER THE BALL TO DO OVERHAND
- HE LEVELLED UP! SO PROUD OF HIM!
CH269 – The Beasts
- OF COURSE THEY’RE THE VICTORS! (ft. Kenma being SO done with the game)
- The official commentators rightfully acknowledged Kenma giving his all.
- Fukunaga and Kenma’s friendship is beautiful (ft. Kuroo being proud of Kenma, I guess?).
- It was a good game between teacher-student teams. Sarukawa Tech had a good strategy, but Nekoma’s just better overall.
- LEV REMEMBERING KENMA TRIPPING AND ACTUALLY THINKING IT WAS STAGED LOL
- Irritated Kenma is a sight to see. Hahaha! (Also, I’ll never not associate Kenma with gravity from now on.)
- KENMA’S LINE HERE WITH THAT LOOK OF EXHAUSTION WHILE EATING BANANA ❤ ❤ ❤
- SERIOUSLY, THAT’S GOT TO BE ONE OF MY MOST FAVORITE MOMENTS IN THIS SERIES.
- I love how different these two panels are.
- That shows just how much Kenma changed, just how much change volleyball gave to him.
- AND LOOK AT LEV ASKING FOR BANANA IN THE MIDST OF OTHERS WANTING TO HUG KENMA THAT TALL CINAMOROLL
- And, of course, Hinata is one strong boss to beat for Kenma.
- Yaku was silent when Kai pointed out that Atsumu got a service ace off Noya. Yaku acknowledged Noya’s skills and I think he realized how good Atsumu is then.
- By the way, if it’s not obvious how much I love Kenma, here’s a collection of mostly tired Kenma:
CH270 – Instrumental Trio
- It’s nice that Atsumu acknowledges Karasuno as a powerful opponent.
- It’s amusing how Suna is somewhat like how Tsukki is to Hinata.
- Shibayama explained to Lev the reason why Noya failed to receive Atsumu’s jump floater serve using underhand received, so Lev said this and he got that reaction from Yaku, the very person responsible for training him LOL
- People’s reactions to Noya’s finger push-ups is funny.
- After Noya managed to somehow receive Atsumu’s serve, Tanaka covered for it and gave the ball to Asahi, who directed the ball to Atsumu. Osamu set the ball to Suna and Tsukki was waiting because he also considered that possibility.
- I really love how Tsukki is developing as a player becoming more competitive. It’s interesting how that panel with Tsukki’s thought shows Inuoka and Lev, both players able to block Hinata’s quick attacks. Then, when Suna got around the block, these two were surprised. And Kuroo…
- Well, Kuroo’s definitely not amused. Lev, being his blocking comrade, isn’t, too.
CH271 – Main Battery
- I knew there was more of Suna. He was observing Tsukki during the first set. Here, he got to face off with him.
- Osamu’s lines are always loved. Oh, and Yahaba’s, too! ❤
- Lev’s support for Tsukki ❤
- Kenma adorably scared of Nationals :))
- Atsumu acknowledged that Tsukki is a blocker in a high level!
- After Tsukki failed to block Suna, Ginjima served and Noya received it. Ahh, I’ll never get tired of the boys (particularly Karasuno) receiving national recognition.
- The chapter ends with Aran getting another point for Inarizaki. Even then, Coach Ukai said that it isn’t time for a time-out yet.
CH272 – The Strongest Challengers
- After Ginjima’s second serve, Tanaka ended the rally with his amazing cross!
- It’s great to see him actually being able to do it again because it means that the first time isn’t just a fluke. I remember him imitating Bokuto’s arm movements when they played against Fukurodani during the training camp. Development for the win!
- Suga being his usual amusing self
- Kinoshita for the road to skills development!
- Inarizaki’s reactions to Suga declaring they’ll win 2-0 againts Inarizaki is amusing.
- Hinata being cut-off by Inarizaki’s supporters’ heckling for their pinch server Hiseki
- Kinoshita and Yamaguchi’s facial expressions are hilarious! They must have been relief not to have a cheer squad like the Inarizaki’s. Yamaguchi, most especially, as he notably did some half-assed serves before.
- Hinata on “Calmgeyama” and Tanaka’s comment LOL
CH273 – Flow
- KAGEYAMA’S SERVICE ACE EVEN AFTER THE TIME-OUT YAAAAS
- Hinata’s and Kindaichi’s reactions to Kageyama’s service ace coupled with Tanaka and Kunimi’s synced comments is hilarious. :))
- Mika and Daishou are adorable! It’s cute that Mika’s learning from Daishou’s commentaries.
- I also love this couple.
- I love how this chapter shows that these two are truly high-caliber players, not just setters. They excel in blocking and serves, too!
- Yaku being excited is adorable.
- I LOVE THE MIYA TWINS! ESPECIALLY THEIR BICKERING.
- Aaaand enter Inarizaki’s captain who I never thought I’d love so much.
CH274 – Captain
- He’s really “just a substitute”, he said.
- LOOK AT HIM. Doesn’t he look so precious? (AND HE REALLY IS!)
- So, yep. Apparently, he’s someone who is straightforward that his words sometimes sting.
- He doesn’t do flashy plays, but he’s consistent.
- Suna revealed that Kita didn’t see the court in an official match until he became a third year. And in middle school, he didn’t even own the team uniform!
- The chapter continues to introduce Kita’s loveable qualities. Here, have some words of wisdom.
- AND HE’S ACTUALLY ONE SWEET BEAN! That panel about taking care of health is for Atsumu refusing to go home. Ginjima actually praised Atsumu for having spirit. Now, here’s Atsumu’s reaction:
- But then… and so…
- Kita may excel in keeping that face, but he’s not cold. He looks after each of his teammates. And he’s good at his ‘rituals’. AHHH HE’S SO PRECIOUS~
- The chapter actually opens with a young Kita and her grandmother. She said that “someone is watching” and “the deities are omnipresent”. But Kita said that he’s not doing things for the deities. They just feel good. Then, Furudate-sensei gave these panels:
- KITA RECEIVES HIS OWN TEAM UNIFORM!
LOOK AT HIM CRYING AFTER GOING BACK TO HIS SEAT, AFTER RECEIVING HIS OWN UNIFORM. HIS HARD WORK PAID OFF. HE GOT HIS OWN UNIFORM and HE’S TEAM CAPTAIN. SOMEONE SAW HIM. SOMEONE ACKNOWLEDGED HIS EFFORTS.
- After Aran told him that he doesn’t need any logical reason for the feelings he had, that if he’s happy then be it, look at this precious child’s reaction:
- He’s so precious! LKSJDALJSDAsjd
- So, yeah. Coach Norimune said that if Aran, Suna, and Atsumu are for bringing despair to their opponents, Kita is there to make that despair linger. He’s a consistent player so I just know that he excels in doing his role.
- By the way, Kita’s grandma is watching! So adorable!
CH275 – Persistence and Accumulation
- It’s cute how there’s images on his thoughts. LOL
- Another Kita appreciation thought
- Suna’s imagination LOL
- Let’s hear some things from Karasuno’s supporters from Seijoh.
- Don’t worry, Suna. I’m sure Tsukki will surprise you in the near future.
- Kinoshita and Noya’s friendship ❤
- And, of course, Azumane’s there to encourage our dear libero, too! He’s growing more and more as the reliable ace of the team!
- And we also got Kageyama with his bad timing LOL
- I LOVE KARASUNO SO MUCH!
- Because Kita is observant, he knows his teammates so much that he knows what’s going on in their minds. Earlier he pressured Suna to not slack off, too. (With his presence only at that!) Anyway, Suna and Atsumu at the back LOL
CH276 – This Is War
- He faced Oikawa’s and Ushiwaka’s intense serves, but this is the first time that Noya actually said that he’s afraid.
- Aww… Mika’s so cute! And Daishou really went on to talk about volleyball’s rotation system, how it’s strange and how a game can be different just with the change in the rotation of a team’s players.
- Yep. Apparently, Tsukki having more match-ups with Osamu and Suna is the reason why they changed things up.
- We can trust Tsukki for these times. :))
- OH, and Kageyama is also entrusted the role of blocking Aran, too. And, of course, Kageyama’s well up for that role.
- Kageyama’s display of awesomeness again. And see others’ reactions and Hinata’s amusing facial expression while remembering something of the past:
CH277 – Outnumbered
- One more person added to the list of people terrified of Tobio’s genius skills.
- The title came from this. It’s a counter for Suna’s turn spikes. Coach Ukai said that it’s not 1-on-1 nor 1-on-2.
- I love it when Tsukki expresses his trust on his team. ❤
- Yaku never stops caring for the tall child LOL
- I love how Kuroo understands Tsukki. He even knew that he’s the type to stake sets 1 & 2 just to be able to study Suna’s spikes and be familiar with it. I’m really looking forward to their match-up during the Battle of the Garbage Dump!
- Tsukki’s sarcasm is always enjoyable to hear. This exchange reminded me of that time Tsukki talked with Tendou during the Karasuno vs. Shiratorizawa match.
- Honestly, when Narita and Yamaguchi got their opportunities to play while Kinoshita just stood waiting and cheering, I felt bad for him and started looking forward to the time that Kinoshita would be able to have his own time. I just know Furudate-sensei will let him shine, but I guess it’s not yet the time, huh. Perhaps with their game against Nekoma? I hope?
- PROTECT KINOSHITA
CH278 – Hero of the Guardian Deity
- CH276 had Noya saying he’s afraid and this chapter tackles it. He started by sharing how he used to be scared of a lot of things — bugs, dogs, birds, etc.
- Noya shared how he’s feeling scared whenever Atsumu serves. That feeling took back those memories. Along with those, he remembered and shared how he toughened up by what his grandpa said to him. And I actually love this line.
- Even if he could get by doing underhand receives, he chose to practice overhand because it’ll be a waste not to do so.
- THIS IS A VALUABLE LESSON, YOU GUYS AND GALS! (And baby Noya is so precious!)
- And Noya faced him Atsumu again. AND HE MANAGED TO SUCCESSFULLY RECEIVE HIS SERVE USING OVERHAND. And Kinoshita, who helped him along, I guess, with Yamaguchi, was proud of him. Kinoshita may not be able to fight with the team for the current game, but he was with Noya during Noya’s battle to overcome himself.
- Noya is the “guardian deity”. I’m not sure if the “hero” is Noya’s grandpa for giving that life lesson to Noya or if it’s Kinoshita for notably being there to support Noya. Maybe both. But this I am sure of — this chapter is heartwarming.
CH279 – Love
- This chapter features the Miya twins and Aran when they were younger. Apparently, Aran’s name is the reason why the twins call each other ‘Samu and ‘Tsumu.
- Because of Atsumu’s attitude, people hate him. Osamu heard this, so… LOL
- It’s amusing to see them bickering and fighting. Though they truly bring the best out of each other. They’re both competitive so they help each other improve.
- LOL @ Suna taking picture
- This is the reason for this chapter’s title, huh. Though they have the same skills/potential, Atsumu beats Osamu with his love for the game. He’s more intense as seen by the plays he pulls for the game.
- This quality of Atsumu reminds me of Oikawa because Oikawa is shown to care and respect the spikers by giving them the set that they actually want.
- LOL @ Kuroo’s comment. But yeah, it’s an interesting contrast of those two setters.
CH280 – Concept
- Riseki came out to pinch serve again and he successfully offensively served and scored. The Inarizaki cheer squad supported him and so this. Ahh, that old uncle guy is amusing.
- I guess Bokuto’s skills is truly widely acknowledged, huh. Omimi blocked Tanaka and said that he’s just a watered down version of my favorite owl.
- This chapter is mostly Inarizaki’s counter and it ended with the twins posing a problem as both of them proved that they can do a minus tempo quick attack much like Kageyama and Hinata.
CH281 – Piton
- LOL @ Atsumu being demanding
- This is a wonderful panel. There’s feeling of satisfaction when it’s Seijoh members who are supporting them.
- TSUKKI BEING AWESOME AND KUROO NOTICING IT ! ! !
- There’s a lot of action in this chapter. AND IT ENDS WITH THIS ONE. THE MUCH AWAITED RECEIVE FROM HINATA!!!
- I’ve been waiting for him to be able to use what he learned from being a ball boy!
- AND PEOPLE ARE SURPRISED, TAKEN ABACK. THEY DIDN’T EXPECT IT, OF COURSE. That’s Hinata. From the back row. THAT WAS OJIRO’S SPIKE. Most likely, no one expected someone to save it because Noya’s not there. Daichi tried to block Ojiro but failed.
- There you go, Kindaichi. Hinata really did something.
- By the way, it’s a joy to see Goshiki and Shirabu. I love those guys so much! Especially Goshiki! I miss him so much!
- Well, expect more chances to utter those words from now on, Kageyama. *^*
CH282 – Rice
- I wonder when Kageyama will spare Hinata a compliment. LOL
- And the rally continues and Hinata continues to amaze while Kenma just adorably sits there, expecting all those from Hinata.
- Sadly, the rally ends with Inarizaki winning the point. And Karasuno guys’ mood went down like this.
- Hinata, being the ray of sunshine, sheds light to the team!
- Then, we finally get the explanation why chapters ago Osamu said that he was feeling hungry all of a sudden.
- He compared Hinata to rice. And wisely, too. I really love this analogy they used.
- “Hey, Atsumu. Did you know? When you’re hungry and you eat a small mouthful of something…”
- “When there’s someone with a healthy appetite eating, everyone around them starts feeling hungry, too.” THIS IS A WONDERFUL ANALOGY, FURUDATE-SENSEI!
CH283 – Creed
- Karasuno lost a point because of Kageyama and Tsukki’s misplay, so we’re graced by this interaction. I enjoy their exchanges so much!
- This chapter made me appreciate these two captains. Their plays are different, but both just want the best for the team. This panel is after that misplay. They did a synchronized attack so no one was able to follow-up.
- YAAAAAAS! GO, ASAHI!
- Also, look at Kuroo and Yaku’s expressions. And at Hinata and the guys LOL
- This one is after Kita successfully followed up for the Miya twins when they didn’t synced doing the reverse minus tempo quick.
- I love how Daichi stood with the team. It’s their way of winning.
- AND THEY SCORED! IT’S FINALLY TIED! DAICHI HIMSELF GOT IT FOR THEM.
There’s a lot of feels all throughout these happenings and I’m actually kind of glad that I binge-read them. I love how Furudate-sensei is good at foreshadowing and in developing characters. And these characters are loveable, too!
Though I know Inarizaki is powerful, I doubt Karasuno will lose. I just can’t see it, not after that focus given on Nekoma. That just speaks to me of the build up Furudate-sensei is doing for the Battle of the Garbage Dump.
The question now is: how will they win? Will it go deep in the 30s? What more can they do? Aahhh, I hope the next chapter closes this game!
If you’re reading this, WOW! You’re amazing! Thank you for bearing with this long post full of images! Thank you for reading! 🙂
3 thoughts on “Up-To-Date: Haikyuu!! 265-283 (Reaction Dump)”
I admire you Mei-san.
Also I’m glad you’re around.
I think I’m crying at the sheer brilliance of this post.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Aww I’m glad you’re around to spazz about Haikyuu!!, too! ❤
Thank you for being able to read and drop by this overly long post! 😀